Thursday, May 31, 2007

Regeneration after fire


We noticed this phoenix like phenomenon at a couple of sites. The ground is still charred from a bonfire about a month ago. Life springs from the ashes. I loved it for the contrasts.

(pic taken with a motorola cell phone)



Last night, (29/30th ) some unseasonal thunder and brief rain.

May 30th visibility down to a couple of miles, seems some dust in the air. Mid 20s (dropped from 27 peak) wind SW 10 knots, 63% humidity

Usual residents seen active and foraging. Greenfinches in song. Turtle doves cooing,

Sunbird
calling and foraging right outside my window at various times today.. beautiful sapphire iridescence on most of his body, slight malachite on his head. What a beauty! 7.25 ish p.m. He just gave a wonderful vocal performance again in the Bauhinia, for about fifteen minutes a few feet from my bedroom window - a rambling siloliquy incorporating a fine range of trills and calls..his real song again as opposed to his musical shorter morning calls even though some of those are complex enough to be taken for song .
Hubby's casio digital was not behaving for me.. haven't got the hang of that camera yet and murphy's law was working overtime. ah well.. hopefully other opportunities.

(Murphy's law of electronic gadgets... "it should work now" really means "if it doesn't work I can't tell you why not" )


Thurs. May 31st clearer than yesterday.. temp down to 20 degrees C, just under 70 degrees F, wind in west, falling to 6 knots. 70% humidity

House sparrows
, vocal and active everywhere, buildings and throughout wood, Feral pigeons, active as before, singly and flocks over valley
Hooded crows, active everywhere, relatively quiet. Jays foraging throughout wood, quite quiet. Jackdaws seem to have gone on vacation.
Blackbirds, some song. Syrian woodpeckers, some calls, Greenfinches, relatively quiet. Collared doves, relatively quiet and foraging.
Senegal doves, some cooing, foraging everywhere. Turtle doves, a lot of cooing.
Chukar partridge family with the one 'preteen chick' also foraging in the little field by the saplings. Hoopoe was also foraging there, probing for grubs under the soil. Then he flew low in stages across valley road, up rocky hillside to west. Landing on rocks along the way, raising crest.
Gazelles absent again from gazelle field :( Hyrax alarm chirps heard but 'cypress slum' no individuals above ground. . I expect the dynamics of their colony works a lot like prairie dogs.
Bee-eaters and swifts a 'no-show' though husband saw swifts still about two days ago. They should be leaving us soon to head back to Africa.

After dark the
stone curlews vocal, but not earlier. A single call amongst them, higher pitched 'kip .....kip... kip' possibly a young stone curlew calling for food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered adding more videos to your blog posts to keep the readers more entertained? I mean I just read through the entire article of yours and it was quite good but since Im more of a visual learner,I found that to be more helpful well let me know how it turns out! I love what you guys are always up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the great works guys Ive added you guys to my blogroll. This is a great article thanks for sharing this informative information.. I will visit your blog regularly for some latest post.

Anonymous said...

I am really glad I have found this information. Today bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good website with interesting content, this is what I need. Thanks for keeping this site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can't find it. If any ones needs some expert web design or seo search engine optimization help check out my los angeles web design seo company website http://gotwebsite1.com los angeles web design backlinking company they are able to move your web design take over on the internet. My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post's to be just what I'm looking for. I would like to thnkx for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I am hoping the same high-grade website post from you in the upcoming as well. Actually your creative writing skills has encouraged me to get my own web site now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings quickly. Your write up is a good example of it. I also have a cart repair service in rim rock sedona flagstaff cottonwood and camp verde az and have uhaul trucks. We repair cars trucks and offer towing to all of northern Arizona. if you want to check it out for fun the address is http://reliablegroupaz.company/our-business